Thursday, January 8, 2015

Standing for Parliament?

I am hoping to be selected to run as the SNP's candidate for Dundee West in the General Election. Here is my pitch to the members, which will be sent out directly to every SNP member in the constituency who is eligible to vote.

Councillor Jimmy Black
Well Placed to Win
Politicians have to get things done. As Dundee's Housing Convener, I led big changes. We insulated 1,000 council flats in Dundee West and put in heating that was cheap to run. We made those flats warm and comfortable. Labour would have demolished them.

I demanded to know why it took three months to re-let council houses when tenants left. The system was inefficient, and we changed it. We built brand new houses too, the first for decades.
When the Tories imposed the bedroom tax, I was advised to evict non-payers. I refused, and ruled that tenants who tried hard to pay should stay in their homes. The Scottish Government then called on all councils to follow our policy.

Politicians need to stand up for the people they serve. In Westminster, I would point out the flaws in Tory welfare reforms. They don't work and they leave people struggling to survive. Benefit sanctions are cruel and unnecessary and they have to stop.

I have been at the House of Commons before … as a lobbyist for Shelter. My first job was in welfare rights, back in 1982 in Dundee's Hilltown. Other jobs have been freelance radio reporter for BBC, campaigner for the Citizens Advice Bureau and assistant to MSPs Nigel Don and Shona Robison, and Stewart Hosie MP.

I am in the National Union of Journalists, and the Chartered Institute of Public Relations. Born in Caithness, raised in Coupar Angus, 23 years living in Dundee and eight years a councillor in Dundee West.

Many in Dundee worked hard for a YES vote. I was one of them, handling media, running the website, organising events. There were thousands of leaflets and newspapers to deliver, and I played my part. I was bitterly disappointed when we lost, but proud of Dundee and of the huge vote we got out for YES. I won't give up.
Given my track record as a well known, hard working politician in Dundee, I believe I am well placed to win Dundee West from Labour. I would relish that chance.

No comments: