Monday, January 19, 2015

Experience is the Key


Five SNP activists made their pitch to be the party's candidate in Dundee West to a crowded hustings (on Sunday 18 January). I was one of them.  In short, I said, "SNP can win Dundee West. My track record gives me the best chance". Here's more ...

* I have already been elected twice in Dundee West, as councillor for Coldside, where I live. I was raised in Coupar Angus, so I am very familiar with places like Muirhead, Birkhill, Liff, Fowlis and the Sidlaws.

* As a former Housing Convener in Dundee I can point to real achievements and change. I tackled fuel poverty in Hilltown and Lochee by insulating houses and putting in new heating systems; and stopped the unnecessary demolition of hundreds of homes.

* I persuaded the Council not to evict tenants who were struggling with their "bedroom tax". That policy was taken up by the SNP nationally and promoted by Nicola Sturgeon.

* Experience in housing and welfare rights with leading agencies such as Shelter and Citizens Advice Scotland has been useful in my job as a local councillor, helping solve problems for people.

* I was one of those behind the plan for a new primary school in Coldside.

* Training in radio journalism means I can communicate well - a vital skill for an MP. My name and picture have appeared in the local press many times over the past eight years. I handled press for the Yes Campaign in Dundee and performed well on TV and radio.

Standing up for people affected by Coalition welfare reforms is a big priority. I also want to help the highly educated, skilled people coming out of Dundee's Universities to set up businesses and create employment locally.

There are five good candidates for the SNP in Dundee West, and any one of them could do the job well. I believe my experience and track record can persuade traditional Labour supporters to vote SNP.

Winning the largest number of seats for the SNP will help us win the maximum powers for Holyrood. That will take us further down the democratic road to independence. I believe I can win Dundee West, if you select me.

Yours for Scotland

Jimmy Black




No comments: